Wednesday, January 19, 2011

smoky beef tacos


I heart Mexican food but,  I have not had much success in making anything that tastes authentic.  I love simple street tacos.  This meat is so simple to make and tastes so good! The ingredients list is short, the prep time is quick but, the cook time is long.  The slow cook gives the dish that flavorful falling apart meat which is worth the wait.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  It is spicy, savory and smoky.  You can adjust the spice by how much chipotle pepper you add.  This meat serves a large crowd and adapts to various toppings.Just thinking about these makes me want to round out my Mexican menu with a few more dishes and have a cinco de mayo gathering this year. 


smoky beef tacos
source: everyday food

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/2 cup ketchup
8 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds), excess fat trimmed
16 corn tortillas (6-inch), lightly toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, stir together chiles, ketchup, 1 cup water, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cut beef into 4 equal pieces. Add to pot, and turn to coat. Cover, and bring to a boil; transfer pot to oven. Bake, covered, until beef is fork-tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Transfer beef to a cutting board. With a large spoon, skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks; and add back to cooking liquid.  Season with salt and pepper. 
Serve beef with tortillas and desired toppings.

2 comments:

VegeCooking Club said...

I am jealous of your street tacos! Taco trucks haven't caught on here. We mainly have BBQ trucks occasionally. I love this idea for beef tacos! There was a sale at my local natural food store of this gorgeous local, organic and humanely raised grass fed beef so I bought a whole bunch. I bet my hubby would looooove beef tacos. Great idea!

Joanne said...

I am a HUGE taco lover myself and that meat looks perfectly cooked!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS