Lately I have really been trying to incorporate fruits and vegetables into dishes as many ways as possible. I know baking one overly ripe banana into a cake does not make it a healthy item but, this is a snacking cake. When I compare this snack cake to those you find on the grocery store shelves (twinkies, ho-hos, ding dongs) ... you get the picture ... I feel pretty good. I am trying to move away from processed food (goldfish, bunny crackers and bars) and create items from the kitchen filled with better ingredients and lots of motherly love. This cake is so easy that both kids helped make it. I gave one the wet ingredients and the other the dry and we combined and stirred together. This is a great alternative use for black bananas other then banana bread. The cake was fluffy, moist and had the perfect amount of banana flavor which was elevated with the sweet pockets of butterscotch.
banana butterscotch snacking cakeadapted: cooking light
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain low-fat banana yogurt
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- cooking spray
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
3. Combine yogurt, banana, oil, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; stir until well blended. Add yogurt mixture to the flour mixture in large bowl, stirring just until moist. Add chips and give a quick stir to incorporate.
4. Pour the batter into a 9-inch square metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Serve with whipped topping.