Wednesday, January 26, 2011

roasted mushrooms and kale over butternut squash puree


When Brad is out of town I miss him BUT I get fairly excited about my dinners because I get to eat things I can't when he is home.  The first night I typically have a big bowl of microwave popcorn with milk duds mixed in and sprinkled with salt.  I know horrible but, I have a movie night with the kids (read fun mom) and I indulge in one of my favorite pregnancy cravings.  After I have had that naughty treat I move onto vegetarian dishes.  My csa box delivered a gorgeous huge butternut squash, shallots and purple kale.  I came up with this following dish which is a spin off of a kale and butternut squash bread pudding I make.  This version takes out the bread and highlights the vegetables.  This was delicious, filling and made a ton!  I had this for the two nights following the popcorn dinner so, kinda makes up the nutritionally void meal nights before.

roasted mushrooms and kale over butternut squash puree
source: sweetflours
  • 1 pound mixed sliced mushrooms (crimini, portobello and shitake)
  • 1 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 shallots chopped
  • A few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
  • 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt and pepper
  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
  • 1 bunch kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut butternut squash lengthwise and clean out seeds.  Place squash on jelly roll pan face down with small amount of water. Roast until squash is tender about 45 minutes.  Set aside and allow to cool to touch.
 

On a large baking sheet, dress the mushrooms, garlic, shallots and thyme with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread out. Roast the mushroom mixture for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper.
 
Scoop out butternut squash into large bowl and either puree or mash depending on consistency desired.  Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir in the cheddar until melted.

Lower over temp to 375.  Toss the kale with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt. Arrange the kale on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and roast until crisp at the edges, 10-12 minutes.

Combine the mushrooms and the kale and serve on a bed of butternut squash puree.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS