Saturday, January 8, 2011

roasted vegetable salad with goat cheese


I am still in love with my farm fresh to you delivery.  I am trying to embrace the buy local and cook seasonally but, there are so many vegetables that come in the winter that I am just not use to cooking with.  They often stare back at me from the cardboard box taunting me.  I know it is a race against the clock to serve them before they spoil so, I try to develop one side that will use up some of the harder items of the week.  We have been receiving a bounty of kale lately.  Until this year I can't say that I had much kale before. I fell in love with kale last year in my kale chip craze but, beyond that I was at a loss.  This salad uses the kale chip concept as a base (which the kids will eat and LOVE) and then is covered with mixed roasted vegetables.  I like to taste my vegetables so, the salad is dressed with lemon juice which compliments the roasted garlic and salt.  The creamy goat cheese is a nice finish to the salad.  This is light but, very filling.  I intended it to be a side dish but, I had it as my meal partially because I overcooked the pot roast and because I could not stop at one serving.  I am a sucker for roasted vegetables.

roasted vegetable salad with goat cheese
source: sweetflours

6 nantes carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick
1/4 onions, chopped
8 grape tomatoes
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1 bunch kale, tough stems discarded and leaves sliced
1/2 ounce crumbled goat cheese
 
Preheat the oven to 425°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the nantes carrots, onions and tomatoes with 1 teaspoons olive oil. Spread into a single layer, season with salt and pepper and roast, tossing halfway through, until golden, about 25-30 minutes. On a separate baking sheet, drizzle the kale with remaining teaspoon of olive oil, season with salt and toss. Add to oven for last 9-11 minutes depending on how crisp you want the kale. 


Plate the salad with the kale then add the roasted vegetables.  Squeeze lemon juice over salad and top with crumbled goat cheese.

3 comments:

starnes family said...

Roasted vegetables are one of my favorite dishes! Excellent recipe.

Joanne said...

I love how healthy delicious this is! And with goat cheese on top it has just a little bit of decadence added in. Wonderful.

Brittany @Real Sustenance said...

Ohhh yum!! Roasted Veggies really are the best!! :)
Wanted to invite you to participate in a Weekly recipe event that I host titled Seasonal Sundays! As THIS recipe fits really well into the theme!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS