Friday, January 14, 2011

hearty winter vegetable pilaf


I am really digging this healthy eating thing.  I feel better putting good things into my body.  It is amazing.  I have never liked rice.  Because I did not like rice I just assumed I really did not like grains in general.  Then I went through my no carb phase so this dislike of grains was compounded.  Last year I started to experiment with new grains and well wouldn't you know I really like them.  They have such amazing health benefits and they add texture and substance to vegetarian dishes.  Now I am hooked and have a pantry filled with bags of assorted grains.  The harvest grain blend from Trader Joe's inspired this dish which I brought to book club.  This could easily be adapted to liking by using couscous or quinoa.  This is the kind of side dish I want to make at the beginning of the week so, I can just add to my plate as I dish up dinner.  I could not get any of the other mouths in my house to try it but, I have finished off every last grain.
 
hearty winter vegetable pilaf
source: sweetflours
  • 1 1/4 cups trader joes harvest grain blend (or quinoa/couscous)
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oi, divided
  • 1 pound mixed mushrooms (shiitake, cremini and baby bella)
  • 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
  • 1/4 cup walnut pieces
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound brussel sprouts, quartered lengthwise 
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Toss quartered brussel sprouts in one tablespoon of olive oil and  season with salt.  Roast brussel sprouts for approximately 20 minutes.
  2. Bring vegetable broth to a boil.  Add harvest grain blend.  Bring back to a boil, reduce to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
  3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the scallion whites, walnuts and dried cranberries; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the nuts are light golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Remove brussel sprouts from oven and toss with the mushroom mixture and grains. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and add any additional seasoning per taste.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Now that I've really started delving into healthy eating again, I hate the thought of putting anything into my body that ISN'T healthy. It's crazy.

I love that harvest grain mix. Such good stuff. And your mix-ins to this pilaf are awesome!

Jen_from_NJ said...

I love healthy eating also and your pilaf looks fantastic! I will put the harvest grain mix on my TJ's list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS