Thursday, November 4, 2010

homemade marshmallows


I have been curious about making marshmallows from scratch.  I have read several blog entries talking about the sticky mess the process leaves both you and your kitchen.  I am not the neatest person in the kitchen so I was assuming I was going to be washing marshmallow strings off the ceiling.  I wasn't sure which step caused the big mess so, I was more cautious then I normally am when baking.  I watched the candy thermometer like a hawk as the mixture bubbled and boiled to the soft ball stage.  I restrained myself from giving in to the urge to stir.  Mixture reached 240 and not a drop on the stove top.  I was then certain it was when I poured it into the mixer but, nope the hot syrup was incorporated without a mess.  I turned the mixer to high and left the kitchen to wash my face and brush my teeth.  A thumping noise started to be heard in the back ground.  I went out to the kitchen to find the kitchen aid working up a sweat.  The sticky marshmallow mixture really puts the mixer to work.  I poured the marshmallow into the pan and there was still quite a bit on the sides of the bowl so, I got out my spatula as I always do in order to scrape the mix stuck to the sides of the bowl into the pan.  As I scraped and pushed the marshmallow mix long strands of white sticky marshmallow began to form.  I made the mistake of trying to break them with my finger.  Before I knew it I had marshmallow strings on my hands, my PJ's, my face and of course eventually in my hair.  I found the messy step!  Cleaned up for the second time that night and let the pan sit over night.  In the morning I turned out with a little help from my fingers a large beautiful white marshmallow pillow on to the cutting board.  I cut, dusted with sugar and tasted.  They were good!  Springy, fluffy, soft bites of marshmallow.  We made homemade s'mores that night and I have had them in cocoa and they take those both up a notch.  Of course now I want to make homemade graham crackers and I know I will be making these again this winter for our annual Mammoth fondue dinner and my snuggler is definitely going to an elevated apres ski drink with these tossed on top. 


homemade marshmallows
adapted: sticky, chewy, messy, gooey

1 cup cold water
3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
confectioners sugar for dusting

Pour 1/2 cup cold water into large mixing bowl.  Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the water and allow the gelatin to sit and absorb the water for 45-60 minutes.

In a saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water, sugar, corn syrup and salt.  Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.  Increase the heat to high and let the mixture come to a boil.  Cook the syrup without stirring until it reaches 240 F on a candy thermometer.  Remove the syrup from the heat and slowly beat into gelatin mixture on low speed with whisk attachment.  Increase mixer to high and continue to beat until mixture is very thick, white and still warm (~15 minutes). Beat in the vanilla.

Generously oil a 9x13 baking pan and then dust with confectioners sugar.  Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top with spatula, and dust the top with confectioners sugar.  Let marshmallows sit uncovered at room temperature for 8-12 hours.  Turn marshmallow out of pan onto parchment dusted with confectioners sugar.  Cut into 2 inch pieces.  Put cubes back into pan, dust with confectioners sugar and toss to coat.  Store the marshmallows in an air tight container.

1 comment:

Quay Po Cooks said...

Your homemade marshmallows looks fabulous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS