Tuesday, November 2, 2010

fonitina stuffed potato skins


I don't like potatoes, I have never like potatoes, I swear I am allergic to potatoes but, that is still an ongoing family debate.  Regardless of my dislike for potatoes my husband loves potatoes.  There is an ongoing joke amongst our friends about Brad's love for potatoes and his mom's killer twice baked potatoes.  The guys that Brad grew up with still talk about these twice baked potatoes ... they are a legend.  Brad's mom still makes them for him on special occasions and I still get ridiculed from the guys that Brad will never truly love me until I can replicate or surpass this famous twice baked potato.  I know I will never match these potatoes but, when my organic box was delivered this week with 4 beautiful russet potatoes I knew I had to attempt to make a stuffed potato.  This is a different spin then the aforementioned famous spud and certainly a lighter version but, all in all I think a good first entry in the world of twice baked.  I made up a full batch and then cooked them off during the week and let me tell you having a side ready to go in the refrigerator was awesome and made the dinner prep so much easier.  I think you could even freeze these before the second bake (need to cross reference with the legendary cook).  Brad liked these.  I know he did not want to hurt my feelings and say they did not compare to his moms but, he did finish every last bite and said his only complaint was they were too small.

fontina stuffed potato skins
source: cooking light
  • 3 1/4  pounds  russet potatoes (4-6 potatoes)
  • 1  cup  whole milk
  • 1/3  cup  light sour cream
  • 1/4  cup  reduced-fat buttermilk
  • 1  cup  (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
  • 1/4  cup  finely chopped chives
  • 2  tablespoons  butter
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 6  tablespoons  grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh, leaving about a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Combine flesh, milk, sour cream, and buttermilk; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in fontina and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Divide mixture evenly among shells. Place potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet; sprinkle potatoes evenly with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until heated.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Broil potatoes 2 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Note:  You can bake and fill potatoes up to 2 days in advance.  Bring to room temperature, sprinkle with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and pop in the oven.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS