Tuesday, November 16, 2010

deep dish pepperoni pizza


I am fairly indifferent to pizza ... weird I know.  I like it but, I rarely crave it.  Brad and the kids love it so, I need to learn appreciate pizza.   This gives me an opportunity to learn to make pizza.  I got a pizza stone last Christmas.  I have tried to make pizza numerous times since and for the most part they have been flops.  First off I have not found my go to dough.  There are so many pizza dough recipes out there and I have tried many but, have not found the one.  I will continue to search and practice.  The hardest part for me is rolling out the dough. When pizza is on a cooking show I watch in hopes to pick up tips.  I have gathered some tips and findings during this journey which have helped but, I am still dough rolling challenged.  This is what I know as of now.  You need to shape and roll the dough.  It helps to shape the dough with you hands to begin.  Gently pull and shape the ball of dough into the general shape you are trying to achieve.  You may be able to get to the final shape using your hands which I think would be the ultimate goal.  If you can't (like me) then once you have the general shape you can use the rolling pin to get to the finish line.  If you mess up and need to gather dough back into a ball you need to let the dough ball sit for a few minutes (~10) to relax before attempting again.  If you go at it again right away the dough snaps back and produces a tough crust (yuck!).  Once you have rolled out the dough if you are using a baking pan like the following recipe it helps to let the pressed dough sit for about 20 minutes before you add the toppings.  These are my discoveries and I actually have no idea if they are accurate but, they have helped me produce better crust ... far from perfect but, certainly better.  If anyone has tips ... help a girl out!

deep dish pepperoni pizza
adapted: cooking light
  • 1  cup  warm water (100° to 110°), divided
  • 12  ounces  bread flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1  package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 4  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1/2  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/4  cups  (5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 1/2  cups basic pizza sauce
  • 2  ounces  pepperoni slices
  • 2  tablespoons  grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attached. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour to 3/4 cup water; mix until combined. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and yeast in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add yeast mixture, oil, and salt to flour mixture; mix 5 minutes or until a soft dough forms. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; cover surface of dough with plastic wrap lightly coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand, covered, 1 hour or until dough comes to room temperature. Punch dough down. Roll and shape dough out to a 14 x 11–inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Press dough into bottom and partially up sides of a 13 x 9–inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let sit for ~20 minutes.
3. Place a baking sheet in oven on bottom rack. Preheat oven to 450°.
4. Arrange 3/4 cup mozzarella evenly over dough; top with Basic Pizza Sauce, pepperoni, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Place pan on baking sheet in oven; bake at 450° for 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Cut pizza into 6 rectangles.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS