Monday, November 8, 2010

basic banana bread


Omega 3s what are they, what do they do?  I am not really sure but, I keep hearing you need to eat them.  I buy the milk with omega 3s and the brown eggs with omega 3s.  Am I the only one that thinks brown eggs are healthier then white?  I have no idea why I think that but, then toss in organic and omega 3 and I am buying them.  I continue to hear about the benefits of flaxseed which  provides both omega 3s and fiber.  I don't cook much fish which is a major source of omega 3s because my house is small and it makes our home smell like fish.  No matter how good the fish is a home that smells like fish is not good.  Carter does not like fish, eggs or vegetables so, I worry about his omega 3s and fiber.  I am always looking for new ways to sneak more into his food without him noticing.  The flaxseed in this banana bread adds a nutty undertone which is tasty.  This banana bread is moist,  flavorful and the light glaze on the top adds enough sweetness that you don't need to spread cream cheese or anything else on this bread.  I typically bake quick bread in four mini pans because I hate wasting food and we don't get through a whole loaf but, this was baked as one big loaf and every crumb is gone. 

basic banana bread
adapted: cooking light
  • 1 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana (~2 large)
  • 1/3  cup  plain fat-free greek yogurt
  • 5  tablespoons  butter, melted
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1/2  cup  granulated sugar
  • 1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 6.75  ounces  all-purpose flour (~ 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4  cup  ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
  • 3/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/8  teaspoon  ground allspice
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/3  cup  powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  1% low-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until combined.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through ground allspice). Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool completely. Combine powdered sugar and milk, stirring until smooth; drizzle over bread.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS