Tuesday, September 7, 2010

fig cake


I have been enjoying my fig jam.  I served it over brie with crackers and I made a panini with manchengo and jam.  Both were great but, as I work my way through Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey I knew I had to adapted the fig cake to use my jam.  Every recipe I have made thus far has been delectable.  I often have to cut the recipes in half if the treat is just for our family because it would be down right gluttonous to enjoy the entire thing between a family of four.  This cake was good, not great and was an ugly duckling of a cake (my fault).  The good not great may be because I used my own jam, I cut the recipe in half and I under estimated the bake time when converting the recipe.  The cake is the perfect snack cake and a great use of end of summer fruit mixed with the warm spices of the fall.  It tasted like a moist spice cake.  I could not overly detect the fig or ginger flavor.  The flavors all blend nicely to give a deep sweet yet warm and spicy flavor.  
 

fig cake
adapted: sticky chewy messy gooey

fig jam:

For the Cake:
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Make the Jam:  
I used my homemade jam but, you can make your own or use store bought.

Position the rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease an 8 inch baking tin.

Make the cake:
Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a small bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, using a electric mixer set at medium speed beat together the oil, butter and sugar until creamy and combined. Beat in the egg. Beat in the vanilla. Using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture just until combined. Stir in the boiling water, 1 cup of fig jam and walnuts. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, around 35+ mins.

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS