Tuesday, August 24, 2010

fig and ginger jam


When life (or grandma) gives you figs .... you make jam!  I had never really had a fig until about 5 years ago at a wine tasting in Napa.  I was hooked.  The sweet fig with manchego cheese and wine was heavenly.  Soon after I realized Brad's grandma had a fig tree in her yard that produced a bumper crop each year.  I have become a happy receiver of the harvest each year.  I have been collecting recipes as I find them for fresh figs.  This year I decided on jam.  The sweet fig combined with the sharp ginger and tart lemon is delicious.  Even the 3 year old enjoyed it!  I envision making fig jam and brie paninis, a crostini with fig jam and manchego cheese and using this as a glaze on chicken. 

fig and ginger jam
adapted: cooking light
  • 4  cups  coarsely chopped dark-skinned fresh figs (~ 15 large figs)
  • 2 cups  sugar
  • 1/3  cup  water
  • 1/4  cup  fresh lemon juice (~ 1 large)
  • 3  tablespoons  finely chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Cool; pour into airtight containers.
Note: Refrigerate Fig and Ginger Jam in airtight containers up to six weeks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS