I love the chicken apple gouda sausages from Costco. I seriously should be a sales rep for them because I sell everyone on them. We always have them in our freezer ready to throw on the barbecue. I love the combination of the flavors in the sausage especially the little pockets of warm gouda cheese. When I saw this salad had the same base primary flavor combination I knew I had to try it. It was a great salad. There are layers of flavors and textures. There is sweet, salty, and smokey and the salad has a lot of crunch to it with the apples, celery, and nuts. I brought this to our summer book club at the beach and it was a perfect summer meal with a cold glass of wine in hand, amazing sunset on the horizon and the air filled with laughter from my girlfriends.
The other day when I was at Costco I wanted to buy one of the yummy rotisserie chickens they sell but, I often get them home and then have no idea what to do with them. I am starting a tag on my posts to rotisserie chicken because I am certain I can come up with 100 great things to do with the chicken once you get it home so, you can get a good dinner on the table in a flash. This is the first contribution to the category.
chicken, apple and gouda salad
adapted: southern living
- 2 large Gala apples, thinly sliced or chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 1-2 (6-oz.) package(s) baby spinach and spring greens mix
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 red onion, halved and sliced or chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup salted roasted pecans
2. Layer salad greens, apples, chicken, and next 5 ingredients in a large glass bowl. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours.
3. Toss salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing just before serving.