Thursday, August 12, 2010

chicken, apple and gouda salad




I love the chicken apple gouda sausages from Costco.  I seriously should be a sales rep for them because I sell everyone on them.  We always have them in our freezer ready to throw on the barbecue.  I love the combination of the flavors in the sausage especially the little pockets of warm gouda cheese.  When I saw this salad had the same base primary flavor combination I knew I had to try it.  It was a great salad.  There are layers of flavors and textures.  There is sweet, salty, and smokey and the salad has a lot of crunch to it with the apples, celery, and nuts.  I brought this to our summer book club at the beach and it was a perfect summer meal with a cold glass of wine in hand, amazing sunset on the horizon and the air filled with laughter from my girlfriends.

The other day when I was at Costco I wanted to buy one of the yummy rotisserie chickens they sell but, I often get them home and then have no idea what to do with them.  I am starting a tag on my posts to rotisserie chicken because I am certain I can come up with 100 great things to do with the chicken once you get it home so, you can get a good dinner on the table in a flash.  This is the first contribution to the category.

chicken, apple and gouda salad
adapted: southern living
  • 2  large Gala apples, thinly sliced or chopped
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1-2  (6-oz.) package(s) baby spinach and spring greens mix
  • 3  cups  shredded cooked chicken
  • 1/2  red onion, halved and sliced or chopped
  • 1 1/2  cups  (6 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
  • 1 1/2  cups  thinly sliced celery
  • 1  cup  sweetened dried cranberries
  • 1  cup  salted roasted pecans
1. Toss apple slices/pieces with lemon juice.
2. Layer salad greens, apples, chicken, and next 5 ingredients in a large glass bowl. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours.
3. Toss salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing just before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS