Monday, September 13, 2010

chai cake with honey ginger cream cheese frosting


Spice cake was the flavor of our wedding cake.  I delegated the cake decision to my husband.  At that point in my life I was in over my head in wedding planning and I didn't care about the cake.  I did care about the appearance of the cake and sent him on his tasting with a few pictures torn out of magazines.  Looking back I remember not having any interest in the flavor of the cake.  I hardly ate sweets and I never looked back on weddings and remembered anything about the cake.  How things have changed in 7 years.  Now when I enter the reception I gravitate to the cake.  I look at the detail and wonder what flavor will be contained behind the perfect frosting.  I look forward to the cake cutting and of course the tasting.   Brad went to his tasting and he picked spice cake.  He has added lots of spice to my life over the years and today we are celebrating our 7th anniversary.  Every year I make a spice cake to celebrate.  Every cake I have made from Sky High has been incredible.  There has not been a single flop and if it wasn't for the 3 8 inch layers that make up each of these cakes I would be baking from it more often.  This cake is light and delicate with a tint of brown from the tea.  The spices combine well and balance perfectly to create this warm and spicy cake that is covered in this frosting sweetened by honey and ginger.  Spice cake is one of my favorite cakes and this recipe is making me count the days until or 8th anniversary and reason to make this again.

chai cake with honey ginger cream cheese frosting
Source: Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes
  • 1 1/3 cups of milk
  • 6 chai tea bags (Tazo)
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups of cake flour
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 4  1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 sticks of unsalted butter at room temp

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of 8" round  pans and line with parchment paper. Grease the paper as well.
  2. In a small saucepan bring the milk to a simmer over low med-low heat. Add the tea bags, careful not to let the paper tag fall into the milk. Remove from heat and allow the tea to steep for 5 minutes. Remove the teabags and squeeze out the milk. Let the chai milk cool completely.
  3. In a medium bowl mix the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/3 cup of the chai milk. Whisk together.
  4. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low for 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining chai milk, on med-low speed. Raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg mixture in three additions scraping the between additions. Divide the batter evenly among the pans.
  5. Bake the cakes for 26-28 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes.Remove cakes from pans and peel off parchment paper. Cool completely.
  6. To assemble the cake place one layer flat side down a serving plate and top with 2/3 cup of icing. Spread to the edge and repeat with second layer. Place third layer on top and spread the remaining ginger cream on top allowing it to drizzle down the sides of the cake like icicles.
Honey Ginger Cream
  • 2 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar
  • 6 ounces of cream cheese at room temp.
  • 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter at room temp.
  • 1/2 cup of honey (any kind as long as liquid)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to blend together, then scrape the sides of the bowl and pulse until smooth.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS