Monday, September 27, 2010

spinach artichoke dip


Indian summer has finally arrived and because we never had an actual summer we were eager to enjoy a family barbecue outdoors with friends.  I am trying to eat a bit healthier these days.  The end of summer, trip to Hawaii in November and general health are motivating me.  When I am asked to bring something for a party I tend to browse my favorite blogs.  I get total recipe envy and want to make everything because it looks better in my mind then anything I have in my clippings or numerous cookbooks but, I have told myself I need to work through some of my earmarked recipes.  I have numerous appetizer recipes but, not very many that fall into light or healthy.  I landed on this recipe which is packed with veggies and a lighter spin on the classic spinach artichoke dip.  It was good and definitely tasted better after sitting in the refrigerator for a few hours.  We enjoyed the dip and I probably enjoyed one to many sweet tea cocktails.

spinach artichoke dip
adapted: everyday food
  • 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts in water, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
  • 4 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
  • 3 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 small garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 jar hearts of palm, coarsely chopped 

Directions

  1. Place half the artichokes in a food processor; add cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne, and 3 tablespoons water. Process until smooth.
  2. Add scallions, remaining artichokes, and spinach; pulse briefly. Fold in heats of palm with wooden spoon.  Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. 
*Flavors enhance if chilled in refrigerator for a few hours.



3 comments:

Medifast Coupons said...

Are absolute favorite dip for snack time. I cheat and always buy, but your recipe sounds like something I could actually make, thanks for sharing.

Merut said...

I love how you made it healthy! Spinach-artichoke dip is something that you can't eat a little of, so it's nice to not feel guilty about it. Thanks for sharing!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS