We have discovered that Campbell likes meatloaf. Brad LOVES meatloaf. He swears the best slice of meatloaf is at Roy in Santa Barbara. I have tried endlessly to find a recipe that matches it. We have had numerous meatloaf meals. I have yet to find "the meatloaf" but, this one is good and easy and the whole family likes it. Sorry mom you know I love your meatloaf but, need to keep the hubby happy. I like this recipe because I can sneak a few veggies into the meal for kids that go down with no argument. Meatloaf in the summer is kinda odd but, the weather has been odd all summer and putting a meal on the table that both kids will eat out weighs enduring the heat from running the oven at 450 with no air conditioning. What we do for our husbands and kiddos.
meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Adapted from: Everyday Food
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or 2% milk
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, chop carrots, celery, onion, and panko with egg white until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, form meat mixture into a loaf; brush with half the barbecue sauce. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in loaf registers 160 degrees, 30-35 minutes, brushing halfway through (15 minutes) with remaining sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with cold salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Stir over medium until a starchy film forms on bottom of pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; mash with buttermilk or milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss trimmed green beans in olive oil. With 10 minutes remaining on the meatloaf add the greeen beans to baking sheet and roast. Alternatively steam beans.