Saturday, July 31, 2010

chocolate-caramel candy angel food cake




Friday night family dinner with our good friends again.  I typically don't like using box mix because I feel like I am cheating myself in this learning process but, I have never made an angel food cake from scratch and I needed a quick dessert.  The dessert needed to be light and something that both the kids and adults would enjoy.  I thought it would not be sweet enough without some ice cream on the side but, it was perfect with the caramel, chocolate and candy on top of the light cake.  I think this recipe could be a good base for other variations such as chocolate drizzled served with sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.

chocolate-caramel candy angel food cake
adapted from: Cooking Light

1 (16-ounce) box white angel food cake mix
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
dash of salt
1 skor or heath bar crushed

1. Bake cake according to package instructions. Cool completely.
2. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted, stirring every 10 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over cake.
3. Combine brown sugar and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring just until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, and cook 4 minutes (do not stir). Remove from heat; quickly drizzle caramel over cake.
4. Top with crushed candy bar.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS