Tuesday, July 20, 2010

aunt louise's red velvet (cup)cake







Campbell turned one!  I was 8 days late with Campbell.  July 15, 2009 was a warm summer day.  Carter and I were doing a few errands when out of the corner of my eye I spotted Suzi Cakes.  I love cake and I thought well why not.  I don't feel like cooking so, lets buy a big slice of cake for dinner.  We got our cake and I am going to say Brad, Carter and I started in on this jumbo slice of cake following a healthy well rounded meal but, I doubt it.  I was so over being pregnant.  As we devoured the most delicious, enormous slice of decadent red velvet cake I started to feel some twinges.  I did not want to be an alarmist so, I suggested we go in the jacuzzi.  When we were in the jacuzzi things were getting a bit more intense so, I mentioned to Brad that I thought I was possibly going into labor.  He said lets start timing so, we started and things were 7 minutes apart.  I said if the next one is 7 minutes apart I will get in the shower.  Sure enough I had to jump in the shower and by the time I got out they were 5 minutes apart.  Determined not to neglect my first born I got him in his Pj's and in bed.  I called Brad's parents to tell them I thought it was time and called the doctor to say we were on our way.  I read Carter a book and kissed him goodbye.  By the time we got to the hospital I was well dilated and got a harsh word about waiting it out so long at home.  We were checked in and settled by about 10:30 and on July 16th at 1:34AM little Miss Campbell made her way into the world.  I will never forget when Brad announced to the room "it's a girl" or that slice of red velvet cake.  It was our last time and meal as a family of 3.   She came into this world as sweet as can be and this year has been beyond blessed.  Happy Birthday Cookie!  We love our family of 4.



I have made a lot of red velvet cakes.  I need to do a side by side comparison but, I think this is my favorite one thus far.  The chocolate flavor is slight but, detectable and it does not over power the tang you would expect from a red velvet cake.  The cake is moist and the frosting ... well it was soft but, delicious!

aunt louise's red velvet cake
source: bon appetit y'all

2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 cups vegetable oil
1½ cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 ounce red food coloring

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vanilla and vinegar. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the oil and sugar on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix well after each addition.  With the mixer on low add the food coloring. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with flour.  Mix just until combined.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans and transfer to the heated oven. Bake 25-30 minutes (18-22 for cupcakes) or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes and invert onto racks.

Meanwhile, in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla. 

To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake plate. Spread with frosting. Repeat with remaining layers, placing the final layer bottom side up. Lightly coat the assembled cake with a thin layer of frosting to protect against crumbs in the frosting. Finish with remaining frosting.

Cake can be stored up to 5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS