Friday, August 26, 2011

strawberries and cream bars



I must be a glutton for punishment.  After I explained the fig ice cream revolt which took place in my home and left me with over a pint of fig ice cream to consume on my own I go ahead and take fresh strawberries and turn them into these babies.  After a weekend of really bad food choices I thought a fresh light dessert would be perfect for this week.  All eyes gleamed with excitement when I set these bars down on the table after dinner.  Kids quickly blew through the cream topping.  Once they hit the strawberry portion sweet faces turned evil and then disgust spread across them.  No fluffy sweet cream topping was going to fool them into a bite of strawberry puree.  No way.  Luckily I had a few red vines stashed away that I could calm them down with.  The only fruit lover in this house thought they were refreshing and light on a hot summer night.  I am not sure if my thighs, butt and kids are going to forgive me.  Message is loud and clear ... no fruity desserts.  This is going to have to be my mantra.  If they don't like pumpkin then we may come to blows because I am not missing out on my absolute favorite fall flavor.

strawberries and cream bars
source: everyday food

2 pounds of strawberries, hulled and halved. (6 cups)
1 1/2 cups sugar
coarse salt
7 large egg whites
2/3 cup cold heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a blender, combine strawberries, 3/4 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt. Puree until smooth. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Transfer to freezer and scrape with a fork every 30 minutes until mixture is thick and slushy, 2 hours. Smooth top with rubber spatula.


In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites on high until foamy. With mixer on medium, gradually add 3/4 cup sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, 3 minutes. In another bowl, beat cream and vanilla on high until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.  With a rubber spatula, gently fold whipped cream into the egg white mixture.

Pour over strawberry mixture and smooth with rubber spatula. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Makes 12 bars. Everyday Food.

6 comments:

That Girl said...

If you want to trade a family member for me I would be more than happy to help get rid of the fruit desserts!

Kristine said...

Ha! Ha! Great post! Get used to 'picky', it doesn't get any better as they get older! (mine are 16 & 18) I feel for their future wives, will they be hearing "ewwww! NO mushrooms!" or "I don't LIKE cheap cookies, I only like the ones that cost $4.99 for 8 in a box!" Oh well, don't give up----PUMPKIN AWAY!!!! ;-}

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this for my dessert, just finished dinner and saw this post now I am craving for something sweet

Beth said...

I think your bars look amazing! I'm a huge fan of fruit desserts, and sometimes I end up eating extra too. I could NEVER stop making fruit desserts!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

My son is beyond picky- i feel your pain but these little beauties I am pretty sure he would go for. The one thing I can say is he loves his fruits and veggies. No matter what they are. The strawberry with the cream has got to be incredible!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS