Monday, May 16, 2011

chocolate peanut butter revel bars





I am still working my way through my bhg cookbook.  I am trying to make some of the basics and also trying some things I have never heard of.  I had no clue what a revel bar was.  The ingredients sounded good.  Peanut butter, chocolate, oatmeal, salty peanuts and condensed milk .... check, check, check and check!   I tried googling revel bar to find out some background but, I came up short.  A lot of people make them, a lot of people like them but, I don't know why they are called a revel bar.  My takes is these are an oatmeal cookie base with a gooey rich chocolate filling with a hint of peanut flavor topped with an oatmeal cookie crumb.  They are good, they are rich and this recipe makes more bars then one family of 4 should eat.  If you don't need 60 bars then half the recipe and bake in an 8x8 pan.  I think these would freeze well.  I wish I had tried to freeze half rather then what we did which was eat all 60.  Can someone please remind me that summer is almost here?

chocolate peanut butter revel bars 
source: bhg  

14 tablespoons butter, softened   
2 cups  packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon  baking soda
2 eggs 
2 teaspoons  vanilla 
2 1/2 cups  all-purpose flour 
3 cups  quick-cooking rolled oats 
1 1/2 cups  semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup peanut butter 
1 14-ounce can (1 1/4 cups) low-fat sweetened condensed milk
 1/2 cup  chopped peanuts 
2 teaspoons  vanilla
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla until combined. Beat in the flour. Stir in the rolled oats.

For filling, in a medium saucepan combine the peanut butter, the chocolate pieces, and sweetened condensed milk. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in the nuts and 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Press two-thirds (about 3-1/3 cups) of the rolled oats mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15X10X1-inch baking pan. Spread filling evenly over the oats mixture. Dot remaining rolled oats mixture on filling.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned (chocolate filling will still look moist). Cool pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 60 bars.

6 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound wonderful. I know my family would love them. I have never made these and I suspect it time for me to give them a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Leslie said...

But wait..I will eat 60 bars!!! lol
They look scrumptious!

That Girl said...

Those bars are filled with the perfect ingredients!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

that is so funny. I just tore something like this out of a magazine last night to try for the fam. I thought my son would like it and after seeing your post I know he will if it is anything like yours! This looks awesome girl

Joanne said...

You know, right NOW I don't think I need 60 bars. But I probably do. These sound amazing!

sherri lynn said...

These look really good! Thanks for posting :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS