Wednesday, March 16, 2011

yellow cupcakes with chocolate butter frosting


Back from Barbados! We tried to eat as much local tropical cuisine as possible.  Our meals were heavy in fish (flying fish), vegetable curry wraps (roti) and plantains.  I was surprised that we did not (see Rhianna) or have many options in terms of tropical fruits or fresh vegetables.  We tend to not eat sweets when we are on vacation which is completely odd.  Sounds healthy right?  Well I am certain my thighs are plumped with rum punch, my bum is a bit wider due to its fill of local Banks brew and if you stuck a straw in my belly button certainly pina colada would flow out.  What we lacked in desserts we made up for many times over at the bar.  I came back craving vegetables, baked goods, not wanting to see or taste Mount Gay rum for a VERY long time and really missing my blog/kitchen time.  I really wanted to make a cake when we got back but, due to the extra vacation pounds I packed on and my lack of self control around cake I decided to compromise and make cupcakes.  The recipe is called a yellow cake but, I think this is more of a middle point between a white cake and a yellow cake.  It has egg yokes so, it is not a white cake but, I don't think it has enough eggs or butter to be a true yellow cake.  The cupcakes were still very good but, just not what I think of as a yellow cake.  Maybe I am wrong or maybe I only know yellow cake from a box?  The frosting was really good and although it is a butter frosting it does not have much butter compared to others which I really liked.  The lower amount of butter/shortening took away that greasy taste that some frosting has.  I can't stand that coat your mouth grease taste. Butter frosting is a classic and has a great consistency for spreading on cakes or piping on top of cupcakes. If you like more butter and your stomach is not hanging over your jeans from consuming to many rum drinks then certainly up the butter.  This recipe is easily adapted to taste.  The baked cupcakes freeze great as well.
yellow cupcakes with chocolate butter frosting
source: bhg
2 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour 
2 1/2  teaspoons  baking powder 
1/2  teaspoon  salt 
2/3  cup  butter or margarine 
1 3/4  cups  sugar 
1 1/2  teaspoons  vanilla 
2 eggs 
1 1/4  cups  milk

Preheat: 375.
For cupcakes: Line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.  
Cake: Grease two 8",  two 9" or  13x9" pan. (Bake 30-35).

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add dry mixture and milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just till combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s). 

Fill each cup. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 cupcakes.

chocolate butter frosting

1/3 cup butter, softened
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup sifterd unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

In a mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.

Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to reach spreading consistency.

4 comments:

That Girl said...

I made chocolate cupcakes this weekend, yellow cupcakes sound so much better!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are so beautiful. You really know your way around a pastry tube :-). This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Gorgeous cupcakes! I agree with Mary...you know how to ice to perfection :)

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS Linky Party we are featuring CHOCOLATE… CHOCOLATE… and MORE CHOCOLATE. We would love to have you link up any great chocolate recipe!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-weeks-cravings-21-chocolate-and.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS