Monday, April 16, 2012

sausage white bean and kale soup


It is Secret Recipe Club time again.  Last month I started my Secret Recipe Club post with this proclamation .... I have been in a health funk lately.   Well it has been a month and my health funk has just snowballed into a general funk.  Funk is not good.  Funk stinks.  Between me being sick, my kids being sick, my husband traveling, minor home remodeling projects I feel overwhelmed, frazzled and funky.  Do you ever look around at school drop off and think how does everyone have it all together?  I know comparing isn't good but, I just want their secret.  How do they do it? 

This month I was assigned la phemme phoodie.  The author is a lawyer by day and a foodie by night.  She has a passion for food but, has some dietary restrictions which has allowed her to experiment with wheat and egg free recipes.  There were several gluten free recipes on her site that I boo marked but, with my perpetual cold and fresh CSA box at my door I opted for her sausage bean and spinach soup.  I had to swap some of the ingredients based on what was in my box but, she suggested many of the swaps in her write up.  This soup is fresh and flavorful yet, extremely comforting with the spicy sausage and creamy beans.  A hot bowl of this on a rainy spring night is just what the doctor ordered.

My palate and mind has been a bit lost on sugar lane lately.  I feel as if I have lost my way.  As tempting and beautiful as all of those sugar masterpieces look I am going to work on refocusing my blog on what I love.  The food I love to eat and the food my body needs.  I need to get out of this funk. 



sausage bean and kale soup
adapted: la phemme phoodie

4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 14.5 oz can italian diced tomatoes
1 lb italian chicken sausages, casings removed
1 leek, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces fresh kale, rib removes and chopped
2 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb italian chicken sausages, casings removed
1 14.5 oz can italian diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
grated parmesan for serving (optional)


Heat the chicken stock, water and diced tomatoes in a dutch oven over medium heat.   In a separate pan cook sausage over medium heat until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Do not rinse the pan. Reduce heat to low. Add the leek and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute. Add the leeks, sausage and beans to dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the kale. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot. Top with grated parmesan.







18 comments:

Andrea Kruse said...

Looks delicious! I just adore Cannellini beans and have a soft spot in my heart for kale.

Will give this one a try!

Corina said...

I love soups like this and I thought for a moment maybe you'd been paired with me as I have quite a few similar soups on my blog. I'll have to try this variation.

LaPhemmePhoodie said...

I am certainly not the healthiest of eaters but I like to write about recipes that motivate me to eat healthy. I too have been battling a fierce craving for sugar. It's a hard battle but making healthy meals like this one is a great way to work your way out of your funk. I'm thrilled you chose this recipe. It is one of my favorites. I make this quite often during the winter. Soup is a great way to sneak in veggies for even the pickiest of eaters.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Looks warm and comforting!

Angie A said...

this recipe looks like a wonderful step away from funk! :) Good luck to you!

Miz Helen said...

This is a great soup recipe that we would really enjoy. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
Miz Helen

Betsy said...

This looks comforting and healthy. Exactly what I need while nursing a cold and a vacation-eating-binge hangover. Hope you're feeling better now! I'm stopping by from SRC but be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month. We have peas AND rhubarb link parties open! We'd love if you'd share any recipes you may have http://bit.ly/H9XJGB

Joanne said...

I think we all have days, weeks, months like this...it happens. but GO YOU for getting yourself back on track! Blogging is definitely one of my biggest motivations for eating healthy and this soup sounds like a great way to kick it off!

That Girl said...

This must have been perfect during our recent old and rainy spell!

Unknown said...

I love the addition of the kale in there. I've only cooked with it once before, and this looks like a reason to try it again!

Eat Laugh Love said...

This looks so healthy and tasty. Love your colorful placesetting too -- that would help get you out of a funk for sure!

Denise

Unknown said...

A of all: no body has it all together. There are no secrets.

B of all: Being in a funk sucks. a lot. But maybe its your self telling you there is something out of balance? Maybe change is afoot...

C of all: anything with white beans and kale is a win for me. High funk five in the face!

Happy SRC reveal from a group D member!

Cooking Rookie said...

That's a yummy recipe! And I love the colors in the photo -so happy and perfect for spring :-)

beti said...

I love how good it looks! and it sounds pretty good as weel, btw I like your bowl!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

wow! That looks incredible. I love the kale in it and sausage is always a winner! I am wishing i had a hearty bowl of this right now! Great job! Been missing ya!

Cut `n Clean Greens said...

Love this! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We're going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see your recipe and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard, spinach, escarole, dandelion and other super healthy green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

--Your friendly farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens
https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

Val said...

I love soups....so warm and comforting. Kale is my favorite green.

Bake-A-Holic said...

This soup looks divine. I recently made a kale soup and the family just loved it. I think everyone should use kale more often!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS