Wednesday, March 23, 2011

sweet and spicy asparagus


I am really trying to work on building up a collection of good go to side vegetable dishes.  Typically I am the only one that eats them so, I like to make a large portion that I can stretch over a few days or add into a salad for lunch.  This dish is a twist on the sweet and spicy green beans.  Brad likes the green beans and will eat about five beans so, when I was dishing up his plate and offered these to him I expected him to say yes but, I was also expecting some leftovers for lunch.  This asparagus was that good and now it is gone.  Double batch next time!

sweet and spicy asparagus
source (adapted for size): one perfect bite

1 pounds asparagus, ends discarded and cut into 3rds on the diagonal.
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes and pepper. Set aside.


Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add 1/2 cup water and asparagus. Cover and cook until asparagus is still crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour off any remaining water.  


Add to the pan the oil, garlic and ginger.  Sauté with the asparagus until lightly browned.  Add soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce coats asparagus.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I definitely don't put as much thought into my veg side dishes as I should. This one sounds thoroughly addictive! i can see why the hubs ate so much of it.

That Girl said...

I can't wait to try this with green beans

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh the sesame seeds is such a fabulous idea. I usually add them to stir frys but never though to do it to asparagus. I love it. A great way to get the kids to eat it to since it is sweet (just take out some of the heat). Love it! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! Love your site!

Shirley said...

Good recipe, would like to try.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, my, this sounds wonderful!! Will copy to try...thanks!

fiftyfinally said...

i will surely give this one a try, my fav part of a meal are the sides and the wine

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS