Tuesday, August 10, 2010

tortilla bread pudding


Egg bakes are a favorite of mine.  This recipe has a twist using tortillas, corn and chorizo. It makes an excellent dinner combination which could be altered with beans, cheese, or jalapenos.  The original recipes calls for chorizo sausage but, I opted to sub out the chorizo for a healthier soy alternative "soyrizo".  At the beginning of my marriage I was a fanatical eater.  I would have never eaten the desserts I make today let alone even take a bite.  Tofu and veggies were a big part of my diet.  Needless to say between the tofu and my poor cooking skills I was not winning points with my new meat and potatoes husband in the kitchen.  There was the infamous egg bake I made with soy crumbles which I still hear about to this day.  Both my father and Brad detested it.  I feel confident these days subbing in the soyrizo as both my cooking, my eating habits  and soy products have come a long way in 7 years.  Thank goodness!

tortilla bread pudding
adapted: everyday with rachel ray
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped (~1 1/2 cup)
  • 6 ounces soyrizo (chorizo)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 4 large flour tortillas (about 9 inches), chopped in 1-2" pieces.
  • Salt and pepper (1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper)
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
     Using a food processor, puree 1 cup corn and 4 tortillas.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup corn and cook until the corn begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chorizo.


  3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, pureed corn and tortilla mixture.  Add the onion-chorizo mixture and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes; let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the scallions.

    Frozen Assets
    Wrap the baked pudding in foil and freeze for up to 1 week. Thaw in the refrigerator, then bake at 350° for 15 minutes.


    I just stumbled upon Saturday with Rachel Ray hosted by Taste and Tell.  I was excited to find a source of tested Rachel Ray recipes.  I have such hit or miss success with her recipes that I look forward to following her reviews. Thanks! 

1 comment:

Deborah said...

This sounds delicious! Thanks so much for participating in Saturdays with Rachael Ray - I hope you find some good recipes by following along!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS