Tuesday, August 31, 2010

mint chocolate brownie cookies


 These cookies make it 10 ... 10 recipes in August!  That is a record for me.  I have been cooking a lot this month and I have had success but, I have also encountered several flops.  I just tried light vanilla bean shortbread.  Some things are just not meant to be light and I think buttery shortbread is one of them.  I was hoping this recipe would be a perfect 10 being the 10th recipe however, I think the recipe missed a critical step (#3) which I added below.  I also think the way the ingredients come together is odd.  I thought the butter would have been melted with the chocolate, then the eggs added and then the dry folded in.  I may have to play with it.  I love reading recipes, comparing them to others and understanding how the order of steps and the interaction and amount of ingredients work together.  I find it fascinating and sitting down with a cookbook or a cooking magazine is a true treat for me.  These cookies are good.  They are rich and chocolaty with a hint of mint but, they are very delicate.  The cookies spread quite a bit in the baking process and I think if the dough was chilled a bit they would have been thicker with a soft center.  Be careful when you chill as if you leave the dough in for a long period of time the chocolate will harden up on you.  I am going to make these again and I think these will be a great component to a brownie ice cream sandwich with homemade ice cream which will be a good spin on one of Brad's favorite desserts the brownie sundae.

mint chocolate brownie cookie
Adapted: Everyday Food
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (can sub 12 ounces of one type of chocolate)
  • 6 ounces mint chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted, then let cool.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until lightened in color. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. With mixer on low, alternately beat in chocolate and flour mixture; mix just until combined (do not over mix).
  3. Chill dough for approximately 15-20 minutes just to let it set up a bit.  Alternatively cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
  4. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until the top of cookie becomes shiny and crackled, 12 to 14 minutes. Let sit on sheets for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS