Tuesday, February 1, 2011

zucchini bread oatmeal


Zucchini arrived in our csa box last week.  It is not zucchini season or so I thought so, I was a bit surprised by this.  I wasn't prepared with thoughts of ways to use up zucchini.  I made a delicious loaf of zucchini quick bread which was devoured in under two days.  I was still craving zucchini bread but, only had one small zucchini left.  I came up with another way to enjoy my morning oatmeal when I turned regular oats into a delicious bowl of zucchini bread oats.  I wasn't sure how it would taste but, it was so good!  The egg white helped bind it together and made it really puffy and creamy.  I have never been so excited for zucchini season.
 

zucchini bread oatmeal

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 egg white
1small zucchini; grated
1 teaspoons of brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
good sprinkle of ground flax seed meal

Combine the oats, water and almond milk.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator over night.  If you don't have time to do over night then do it in the morning and let it sit.  This allows the oats to soak up the liquid and produce the most voluminous and creamy bowl of oatmeal.  Remove wrap and add egg white, grated zucchini, brown sugar, cinnamon and flax meal and give a good stir.  Either cook bowl or stove top or put in microwave for ~4 minutes stirring half way through.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I didn't think it was zucchini season either...but does this mean I can bring back my all time favorite zucchini lemon caper salad?!?!? I hope so. And a couple dozen bowls of this oatmeal. Looks delicious!

FireMom said...

I'm allergic to cinnamon, so I'll substitute nutmeg. When we get some good zucchinis, that is!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS