Tuesday, June 22, 2010

black-eyed bean dip



Southern belle ... I think I must have been one in another life.  I only have limited exposure to the south but, thus far nothing has disappointed me.  I long to go back for so many reason but, the food is definitely on the top of the list.  I always gravitate toward southern food for large group gatherings.  It just feels so homey and inviting.  The thought of sharing this dip with the hubby in a swing on a porch with the hot sun beating down and a glass of sweet tea in hand makes me smile.  Because we don't live in the south that isn't possible but, we did enjoy this in our backyard with some sweet tea vodka cocktails while waiting for some neighbors to arrive.   Black-eyed peas are suppose to bring good luck and I thought some good luck was fitting for this evening.  We have lived in our house for 7 years and have NEVER invited any neighbors over.  Maybe it is the kids that are pushing me out of my bubble, maybe it is the start of summer ... whatever it is I realized I like my neighbors and I think they like me.  Why have I waited so long to turn on this southern charm?  The dip was devoured and hopefully blessed us with some good luck developing these new friendships.

black-eyed bean dip
Adapted: Bon Appetite July 1991

  • 1 1/4 cups dried black-eyed peas
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 4-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (about 6 ounces) - divided
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced
  • Tortilla chips
Place peas in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough water to saucepan to cover peas by 2 inches. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Add water to cover peas by 2 inches. Generously salt water. Stir in 1 sliced garlic clove. Boil until peas are very tender, adding more water to pan if necessary, about 1 hour.
Using slotted spoon, transfer peas to processor. Process until smooth. Add remaining garlic clove, spices, cream cheese and 5oz of cheddar cheese. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer dip to 8-inch-diameter pie plate or quiche dish. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Top dip with remaining 1 oz of cheddar. Bake until dip is heated through and cheese bubbles, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle dip with green onions and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS